November 09, 2017

HST Making

I've been working with gorgeous batiks from RJR Fabrics and I absolutely love the colours! Here they are all washed and dried, ready to be used. My favourites are the deepest purple and the deepest blue. Oh, and the lightest purple...they're all so pretty it's hard to choose 😊
Fabric from RJR Fabrics | DevotedQuilter.blogspot.com
The batiks are destined to be a baby quilt for Paul's nephew's new baby, who arrived on Sunday morning, almost 6 weeks early. I had everything all scheduled out so I could have the quilt made well ahead of her due date, but her early arrival means her quilt will now be late, lol. All is well with baby Riley, though, so I'm not too concerned about a late quilt.

Over the past couple of days, I have cut the batiks and paired them with a solid that seems to be somewhere between grey and green. Sometimes it looks like one, other times the other. I thought I was ordering a light grey, but thankfully this greenish grey works too. That's the trouble with ordering through a computer screen, I guess. Have you ever had that problem when ordering fabrics online?
Making half-square triangles | DevotedQuilter.blogspot.com
Chain piecing is so pretty!
Making half-square triangles | DevotedQuilter.blogspot.com
I trim my HSTs before pressing them open. I line up the seam on the 45° line on my cutting mat and then trim on the lines that match the unfinished size I want the HST to be. I should have taken a picture, but I didn't think of that.
Making half-square triangles | DevotedQuilter.blogspot.com
All trimmed and ready to go 😊 If you're thinking two of these things don't look like the others, that's because I'm making leader/ender HSTs as I piece the baby quilt.
Making half-square triangles | DevotedQuilter.blogspot.com
That's what I'm up to these days 😊 What are you working on? And what beautiful colours are you using?

5 comments:

  1. I love that pink/purple batik! I use the kona cotton color card to make sure I am getting the correct color of solid. I love kona cotton!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have definitely run into color casting differences when I order online. Usually it does tend to work out in the long run (and I also learned the value of having a color card for the fabrics I use really often)! I'm glad you aren't stressing about the quilt being "late" and it looks like it will be colorful and made with a lot of love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a real riot of colour you have going on there Leanne, it will be a gorgeous baby quilt.
    I recently used Plush Addict's colour matching service for the first time as I wasn't sure which Kona Solid was the right match for some fabric I was ordering. It worked a treat as they substituted my ordered solid for a slightly different one which was a perfect match. I will definitely do this again in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love batiks, partly because they don't fray, always a bonus. I only started ordering mainly online this last year for the exact same reason you mention, the colours are not always the same. Like Shannon I have Kona colour card now but that only helps me buying Kona solids. I still buy from my local quilt shop though, if we don't use them we loose them. Congratulations to your family for the safe arrival of baby Riley.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the colours. I used to trim my HST's before pressing them open, but I now use a Bloc Loc ruler. Glad to hear Riley is okay. She won't know the quilt is late. LOL I haven't made one yet for my new niece. Inspiration hasn't hit yet. Hopefully in time for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message. I love hearing from you.