October 07, 2014

My First Commission

A friend's 3 year old son is moving to a big boy bed, so she asked if I would make his quilt. She provided the fantastic tractor fabric and just wants very simple quilting to outline the black frames around the tractors.
The mom's dad is a farmer, and has a couple of tractors similar to these ones. Plus, the little boy absolutely loves machines of all sorts, so this quilt is bound to be a hit with him.
What toddler boy wouldn't love to have all that machinery in his room?

The fabric originally was two tractor frames wide, with the 'International' strip on each side, just before the selvages, so I had to remove one strip from each of the two lengths of fabric, then join those two lengths to get the proper width for a twin bed. I was very happy to be able to piece it together so that the join down the middle isn't very noticeable.

Then I took the 'International' strips that I cut off from the sides and added them to the top and bottom. I would have liked to have mitered those corners, but I didn't have enough length on the main fabric to allow for that.

I had a moment of panic as I tried to trim the top of the quilt before adding the border. It looked like I had made a mistake in my cutting somehow because I couldn't make a cut straight across the top that was equally far away from all four of the top frames. Thankfully it turns out it wasn't a mistake I made. Those black frames are not perfect squares, nor are they perfectly straight, so the border is closer to some of them than to others. It's not as bad as I thought it was going to be at first, and doesn't seem noticeable at all in the picture, so maybe I'll be the only one who ever sees it. I was very relieved that I hadn't made a mistake with someone else's fabric!

I spent 40 minutes this afternoon ironing the huge piece of muslin she gave me for the back of the quilt, so I'm hoping to get this basted tomorrow afternoon.

I'm linking up with Sew Cute Tuesday, WIP Wednesday and Let's Bee Social










5 comments:

  1. You did such a great job sewing the pieces together, I can't even see the seam in your picture. I really like that the corners are not mitered. Gonna be a great quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Outstanding! I can tell already that it is going to be a huge hit with the young man. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job putting the top together. I do think you will be the only one to notice. Most people will be looking at the mighty machines. Congrats on the commission.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Jasmine. Your quilt is awsome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is simple but I'm sure it'll be loved just as much as any complicated piece. It's perfect fabric for boys :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message. I love hearing from you.